Monday, February 5, 2007

My Favorite Super Bowl Commericals

Commercials for this years Super Bowl XLI were only broadcasted if the advertiser wanted to pay $2.5 million. I know the only reason I like to watch the Super Bowls is to get a chuckle out of the things people come up with to sell a product. My favorites are what follows:

5. Nationwide Mutual Insurance "K-Fed" - Kevin Federline goes from King of hip-hop to putting french fries in a box at a fast food joint in a blink of an eye. It gets the point that "life comes at you fast" slogan. The irony is after splitting up with the famous Ms. Spears and failing at become a hip-hop star he has nothing but wedding pictures and unsigned record deals.

4. Chevy "All male car wash"- Mostly geared toward woman, it was hilarious to see the men and seniors strip down while playing the song "Its getting hott in here" by Nelly and whipping the "sweat" off of the red hott car. The naked guitar-playing cowboy was also a nice touch that kept me smiling.

3. Taco Bell "Lions"- While people at a camp site eat Taco Bell, Lions argue over how to pronounce the name of what they are eating in Spanish. Its not really realistic; why would lions be speaking english let alone argue over spanish? and why would people be eating Taco Bell in the middle of Africa? However the way the lions were arguing over how to pronounce the product "sexier" was really cute and funny.

2. Budweiser "Dalmatians"- The adorable white dog gets booted out everywhere from the resturant by the waiter to the alley way by a feirce dog and is jealous of the nobal dalmatian in the parade. Then fortunitly he gets splashed by mud and looks like a damatian, and life suddenly gets better and jumps right up in the parade with the other dog become the "king" of the parade. I have a soft spot for dogs, it was cute and funny and mottoed the "king of beers" slogan pretty well.

1. Snickers "the Kiss"- I don't know who watched this commerical and didn't like it. One guy starts to eat a snickers bar and the other one starts eating it from the opposite side and simlar to the Lady and the Tramp Disney movie they meet at the middle with a kiss. After realizing what they have done they instantly do something manly and pull their chest hairs. It was halarious and one of the best commericals on.

The Career Builder commericals also need to be mentioned they were quiet funny also, however I don't know who would hate their jobs so much to jump off a cliff, want a promotion so badlyt they fight co-workers, or go to an interview and getting harrasted by their boss.

1 comment:

Anne-Marie said...

I should refrain from doing school work during interesting televised events. I missed out on the movies Lost in Translation and Black Dahlia because I was grading papers. I missed out on the Superbowl commercials because I was responding to blogs. Although I did catch a couple of commericals.

I can hardly believe it costs $2.5 million to advertise during the Super Bowl. I suppose the television ratings justify the fee. But it seems like television hypes the event to boosts the ratings and then reports on all the hype.

But I do have a few comments on your observations: I did hear a lot of pre Superbowl hype about the Federline ad. Not only did the commercial air during the Super Bowl, but the company got free coverage when various media outlets featured it in a report on Superbowl commercials prior to the game itself. While Federline might be poor on talent, he stands to become independently wealthy if he accepts his estranged wife's latest divorce and custody settlement offer of 25 million.

The Chevy "all male car wash" is one commercial I actually did watch. The one bone of contention I have, and this may seem odd, is why were many of the Caucasian men unattractive, but not the African-American men? Was the company afraid of criticism if it showed an unattractive overweight black male? Just wondering about equal opportunity ugliness. Is it only safe to make fun of white guys?


I missed the Taco Bell Lions commercial and I truly miss the Taco Bell Chihuahua.

I did like the Budweiser Dalmatian ad, mostly because I have a strong hunch that the dog used was part pit bull, and given the reptuation of pit bulls today, the fact that this one dog wanted love and adoration is especially ironic. I think pit bulls are beautiful dogs. But some of them have deranged temperments. But dalmations don't necessarily fare any better. They tend to be nervous and high strung as a breed.

The snickers kiss was GROSS! First off, the kiss lasted more than a few seconds, so they were both hungering for something more than chocolate. (not that this is gross, but maybe the self-deception is) Secondly, the "let's do something manly response" is usually motivated by a fear and revulsion of the feminine. I don't find that women have an an equivalent response, like ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww I just got caught doing something masculine, I had better reassert my femininity by shaving my legs.... Why do men react so strongly to anything that might be perceived as unmanly aka feminine?